Saturday, July 10, 2010

Down In The Cellar




















Back in the late '90s I scored a pretty cool gig doing ad art for a hip local record store called The Cellar. Actually just the basement annex of mainstream music store Record Baron, The Cellar was the only place in Winnipeg specializing in underground music at the time. This was the first of about a dozen Cellar ads I did. The rest of them feature a couple of monster characters that Cellar manager Andy O. Horrible and I came up with. I guess the human couple in this drawing are sort of the prototype of the gruesome twosome that inhabited the later entries in the series. At the time I was disappointed in this piece because I didn't have time to add any texture and detail to the monster but looking at it now it kind of appears as if the dead white flesh of the unearthly thing is giving off a sick, unwholesome luminescence which adds a pleasingly Lovecraftian overtone to the piece. Anyhow I'll be posting the rest of the Cellar ad series over the next week or so. Stay tuned for MORE ACTION!

1 comment: