Monday, December 7, 2009

The Fiends
















The Fiends got going somewhere around 1994 out in fog-shrouded Vancouver, BC. They had the same basic creepy garage sound as combos like The Morlocks and The Gravedigger 5, but added in their own brand of crazed, fuzzed-out intensity to convincingly convey a kinda seething psychosis in sound. They had a couple of LPs, a 10" and several 7"s out in the '90s then went underground for a few years. They were back doing shows again in the past 2 or 3 years but I guess Greg Johnson's death will probably be the end of the line for them as he seemed to be the driving force behind the whole thing. I had done some drawings for Greg's pre-Fiends creepy garage combo The Worst, so I segued naturally into doing stuff for The Fiends. I designed the main Fiends logo that they used throughout their career, a bunch of creepy little spot illos that were used on their In Scareo 10"er and made a drawing based on their song Zombies (Have Feelings Too) which was used on a cassette of demos and unreleased tracks that Greg put out. He also used various monster drawings of mine for Fiends gig posters, including the Frankenstein Edsel drawing I posted a little while back. Above are a batch of logos I made for him back around 1996 or so. I'll dig up some of my other Fiends stuff and post it for you at a later date. Stay tuned for MORE GRAVEDIGGIN' ACTION!

2 comments:

  1. this is J.T Massacre, first drummer for the Fiends, King Merinuk also did some amazing gig posters for us as well. thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete